Originally formed in 1984 as COMPS (Council of Medical Procedural Specialists), the Council was reformed in 1993 as the Council of Procedural Specialists (COPS). The Council is a committee of national procedural specialist organisations who meet monthly to discuss issues of common interest and concern.
Current members are:
- Australian and New Zealand Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Australian and New Zealand Society for Vascular Surgery
- Australian Society of Anaesthetists
- Australian Society of Ophthalmologists
- Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Interventional Radiology Society of Australasia
- Australian Association of Medical Surgical Assistants
- Australian Association of Plastic Surgeons
To ensure the ongoing provision of the highest standards of procedural healthcare for all Australians.
To be achieved by
- Supporting policies which value the importance of the doctor/patient relationship
- Providing advice and support to member procedural specialist societies and associations.
- Consulting with healthcare decision makers at a Federal, State and local levels.
- Providing a convenient forum to understand the issues impacting on a range of procedural specialties.
- COPS is funded directly by its members. COPS does not receive government grants or commercial sponsorship.
- Our members are independent, self-governing medical societies and associations who represent their members in their area of specialist expertise.